28 Jun 2009

On Celebrities

I started reading Somerset Maugham's "The Summing Up" yesterday. This book was described as the Religio Medici of Maugham.

Some random bloke said that when people think, they do so in pictures. Looks like I am pictorially challenged.. ;) instead of pictures, I think in quotes. For every situation, my mind instinctively searches for a quote, and finds one.

"Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing." - Says Robert Benchly. I would go a step ahead and say - drawing on my fine command of all the languages that I know, I would rather keep quite and let others talk. :)

So when I find some nicely worded or thought provoking quote, I am compelled to write it down.  Okay, enogugh of  I-am-O-phobia.  Here goes a quote from 'The Summing Up', (found this on second page, I am sure Maugham has more in store)
"The prestige you acquire by being able to tell your friends that you know famous men proves only that you are yourself of small account. The celebrated develop a technique to deal wih the persons they come across. They show the world a mask, often an impressive one, but take care to conceal their real selves. They play the part that is expected from them, and with practice learn to play it very well, but you are stupid if you think that his public performance of theirs corresponds with the real man within."

1 comment:

  1. I think in quotes too ! For any given situation, a quote pops up and sometimes I blurt it out.

    Hardest part is to "explain" people about it :(

    ReplyDelete

On Happiness, Need and Conflicts - SN Balagangadhara

Insightful paper from one of the greatest philosopher I have known so far. SN Balagangadhara . Full paper here . How important is to teach t...