29 Aug 2009

అతి సర్వత్ర వర్జయేత్!

అతిదానాద్ధతః కర్ణస్త్వతిలోభాత్సుయోధనః
అతికామాద్దశగ్రీవస్త్వతి సర్వత్ర వర్జయేత్

"Karna was ruined by excessive liberality, Suyodhana by excessive avarice, Dasagriva by excessive lust - Excess is to be avoided in all things."


Does this apply to Yudhishtira too? If one is excessively worried about living righteously, following Dharma all his life, unmindful of pain this might have caused to his near and dear, is that not 'excessive' ? No, I am not raising this question just for the heck of it. I firmly believe that I have a million more births to degrade myself to the point where I can do such an 'Indian-intellectual-esque' thing.

Jokes apart, If Yudhishtira's craving for Dharma is not excess or it is excess but conducive of greater good - we are left with a question. What makes something excessive and avoidable?

Btw, There is no excessive lust. It doesn't exist. The word excessive lust is like 'పేపర్ కాగితం'. Lust, by definition, is an excess of something. (what that something is, I have no idea.) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

On Happiness, Need and Conflicts - SN Balagangadhara

Insightful paper from one of the greatest philosopher I have known so far. SN Balagangadhara . Full paper here . How important is to teach t...